Saturday, July 2, 2011

Letter to Grandma

Dear Grandma

Well you would have been delighted to watch your Great Grandson play Rugby today.  He had a pretty good run with the ball!  Although I can hear you say...."is it safe, aren't those other boys a big bigger, shouldn't he have one of those head things on?"  Well yes it's safe enough, no they are that much bigger and the head things...they'd TOTALLY ruin his hair.

You know Grandma there is so much that has happened that I miss sharing with you.  The kids mainly.  You'd just adore Miss 3 and she would adore you.  You would no doubt give me a lecture about letting her wear Master 6 clothes and spend more of your money at garage sales getting her more girlie things.  You'd tell me when she needed a hair cut and 'wouldn't it look pretty up like this......'.  You would be horrified that she rolls up her sleeve, says "wait for it, wait for it....." then makes a fart noise on her arm but would laugh heartily all the same.  I think the thing you would love most about her wicked sense of humour.  I know you'd both be in stitches about nothing and everything.

Master 6 still talks about you.  And I know that he misses you too.  I've been trying to clear out his room a bit...but like me, he hoards.  And I blame you for that.  "We can't get rid of that, it's from Great Grandma".  He is truly a cool kid you know.  You'd be smitten.

I wonder what you'd think of me and my child care life.  You'd probably think I was mad but seeing as you had 4 kids would probably understand on some level.  You'd tell me I look tired and "have you put on a little bit extra weight?" of which I would say....bite me and we'd laugh.

You'd fuss over Duane....drill him about the ins and outs of the farm and tell us how much you love the home we've build.  There would be garage sale plants for "in the garden" and goodness knows what else.  The new lambs would be your favourite here, and I know you'd visit often....Great Grand kids have always had that effect on you. 

I know for me it helps knowing you saw this spot of ours and can feel you watching, frowning at me when I leave the washing out overnight.  But can feel your presence when I need you most.

I'd love to talk more cooking with you Grandma, try a few new recipes out on you and go through some of your books.  I can't bear to part with them you know.

Wasabi is good, she loves it here.  The mice keep her entertained and us too.  She's even bagged a few bunnies....I doubt you'd be impressed by that but she's no longer a town cat!  Amelia loves her to bits, almost literally so you certainly have a kindred spirit there!

I catch myself sometimes, wanting to tell you about the latest competition I've won, the bargain I got or the latest on the kids.  I know I don't visit enough but you know it's not because I don't care.

I wanted to write to you, to chat with you, to tell you I love you and miss you.  And to say please keep your eye out for me, with that little Kingfisher friend of yours.  I like knowing he's about.

Sending you my love. x J

No comments:

Post a Comment