Sunday, July 17, 2011

Recipe no 2 Fudge Cake

So a lunchtime visit from my parents and sister fresh back from holiday called for another trial of Shonagh Koea recipes.  I thought something quick was appropriate as I had a busy morning.  So I picked this Fudge Cake. 
Fudge Cake from the book: The Kindness of Strangers – Kitchen Memoirs
by Shonagh Koea

 200 grams of butter
one cup of sugar
one tablespoon of golden syrup
two tablespoons of cocoa
two cups of flour
two teaspoons of baking powder
a cup of dessicated coconut

Place the butter, sugar, golden syrup and cocoa in a saucepan and melt carefully, then allow to cool.   Add the flour, baking powder and coconut.  Mix well.  Press into a greased sponge roll tin and bake for fifteen minutes in a moderate oven (about 160 degrees Celsius).  Cut into fingers when cold.
Janes' review:
1; being a sucky flop 2;definitely do this one again  3; being add to your repertoire immediately

Taste: 2
it was a bit crumbly so perhaps (with butter being almost $4 a block) I was a bit light on butter
Ease: 2 - very quick and simple
Kids review: Master 6 - fantastic
Farmer review: Good - man of few words, sometimes!

This was a light finish to a nibbly lunch - we were all spolit with lovely treats from Americia!  Hoorah!

Although we were all very tired we decided to head out for some fresh air and excercise (usually a dirty word in my vocab).  Scooter packed for Master 6, bike and helmet for Miss 3 and we were off.  The buzz I got from a couple of hours of my family time was emmense.  Which made me think that perhaps my warning light saying I was due for a recharge was broken.

However it hasn't taken much to recharge my batteries.  Some fun with my kids, a night out with a girlfriend (wine and laughter works a charm), cooking, lunching with more girlfriends (sans kids) and being stripped back to what is it to be me again has worked wonders.

I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment