Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Going for Coffee

Daughter and Mother time.  Wicked.

We trekked off this morning, at 8.30, to go into town to have "coffees" along with doing a list of jobs.  It was girl time, big time.  And you know what I was immensely proud of my pink gumbooted, red tights wearing, star dress ensemble, Miss 3.  She was a super dooper helper.  She was far more grown up that her years, ordering her "coffee" (fluffy I mouthed desperately to the 12 year old serving us, in case she did actually make her a coffee) all by 'herself'.

And while she sat there, foamy chocolately goodness spreading over her some what angelic face I was thinking about how there was no one else in the world (okay maybe Johnny Depp) that I wanted to be sitting there with at that moment.  Astonishing.

I think there are a number of grown up people in the world who have forgotten the small pleasures of life.  Trust me on this one, it's my job to be thinking like a kid.  But it doesn't mean I'm not busy and that I don't have all the other responsibilities that go with 'adulthood' it just means that I can appreciate hanging with my daughter, skipping down an aisle of Kmart, singing full noise with the no idea of the words as my rockette partner chimes in with me and reading books on the couch using the maddest voices i can muster.  There is a whole lot of awesomeness (tee hee) to be had there if you can just find it.

Unfortunately I'm often faced with circumstances where I think "why do I bother".  And it's taken me a long time to realise it's who I am.  I will go back for more again and again because it's my nature.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a door mat, there are things you need to suck up for the big picture and today it dawned on me that part of the big picture is directly linked with my children.  So will forgo the dumb shit that comes along, that wears me out, drives me nutty and gets me wound up for the benefit of my kids....my kids who would make anyone smile, given half the chance.

Er, slight tangent, back to the point of the post - spending quality time (and I do mean quality time) with my farmyard princess today has been wonderful.  It's been a crazy time over the school hols and quality time with just MY kids, has been a little thin on the ground (remind me I said this I pretty sure there will be times I will want to build a tower and lock them in it) but the holidays are coming to an end and so I will grab my coffee moments and hold on to them. 

Thanks Miss 3.  You are the light of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment