Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Beef in red wine


Beef in Red Wine from the book: The Kindness of Strangers – Kitchen Memoirs

by Shonagh Koea

500 grams of any stewing steak (it does not matter how cheap it is)
A little fat or oil
Two medium onions
Four tomato's, cut into quarters
A few black or green olives, halved and stoned
One carrot, diced

Cut the steak into neat matchbox- sized squares.  At this stage it is important to be very neat about this, because the finished dish will look much better.  Brown these in a pan with the fat or oil then put them in either a saucepan or a casserole dish.  Cut up the onions and fry them in the same pan till they are golden, then add the tomatoes, black or green olives and carrot.  Allow this mixture to fry together in the pan for a few moments.  Add half a teaspoon of thyme or mixed herbs, pepper and salt and two cloves of garlic cut into tiny pieces.  Stir in two glassfuls of red wine and then add to the meat in the saucepan or casserole.  Add a little more wine if necessary so the contents are covered completely.
If you are cooking this in a saucepan, put a piece of greaseproof paper over the top and ram the lid down as tightly as you can and stew very gently for two or three hours – longer is better.  If you are cooking it in the oven in a casserole dish, put it in a slow over (about 150° Celsius) and leave it for a similar length of time.  Check the level of liquid from time to time and if necessary add more red wine.

I used to double this recipe if I needed to, but these days I hardly ever do this because there is just me.  If there are no fresh tomatoes available, or if they are too expensive, I use tinned ones.
Janes' review:
1; being a sucky flop 2;definitely do this one again  3; being add to your repertoire immediately
2  
Taste: Very Tasty
Ease: very simple, prepare and leave!

3 comments:

  1. This is the meal I make on Christmas. I lived in NZ in 2004 but am an American citizen. I LOVED this book and have made many of the recipes. I am visiting my in-laws for the holiday and did not bring the book with me so I am SO happy to find it on your blog. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a pleasure to know it has been used! Happy Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Ha ha! Have forgotten my book again and found the recipe again on your blog. I had no memories of finding it here before and yet there I am commenting three years ago. Ha ha ha! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete