Sunday, August 7, 2011

WHAT??? NO TV!!?

While talking to friends the other day it came up that we had no TV.  NO TV?!  OMG! Really????

The look that went across their faces was priceless....ARE YOU FREAKING MAD?  Well yes but not in relation to not having TV.  Don't get me wrong, we subscribe to FATSO to get DVDs delivered in the post and the kids have a range of DVDs to watch but since moving to our new pad we have chosen not to get the Televisions hooked up to the TV network.  Partly born from the Farmer not having much in the way of technical abilities and part from the fact it was Summer.

But here we are mid Winter, practically a year later - no TV. 

What's more startling that no TV is that we don't miss it.  Mostly.  There are a raft of adverts we haven't seen which makes seeing TV at other peoples house a killer of conversation as we ogle commercial breaks.  And if i go out (not often but often enough if your asking the Farmer) he misses it then.  But I don't think he's ever read so many books.  And I wouldn't have had the time to do all the other things I do with it around.

From an outside perception it must seem odd.  I guess it is.  However the kids have never played so well together.  We don't get the normal barrage of "Mum for Christmas/Birthday/right now can I please that really cool toy" when the ads come on.  Not missing that. And as far as programmes go I haven't missed any acronyms at all.  My life continued on without knowing the ins and outs of NCIS, CSI, ER or SVU.  I can get my fix of vampire programmes from the Twilight movies and as far as the News goes it's all bad anyway.  I will admit when the Christchurch Earthquake happened I was glued to the computer for whatever I could get.... but I was a teary wreck watching it so if I had TV I would have been a write off.

With the change of broadcasting (not sure of all the technical ins and outs) coming up and TVs not being able to cope we have thought about the need to upgrade our big, ugly, monster of a TV but really - we don't have the money for it and to what end?

At some stage we will get TV back but for now we have plenty to keep us entertained......speaking of which the Farmer has asked us to help him weigh up some sheep......so off we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment