Wednesday, August 3, 2011

It's too much like hard work........

..........trying to be an over achiever.  So, I've decided not to be one, an over achiever that is. 

Can't really see the point to be truthful.  We are all busy enough, and lets face it, no one likes a snug over achiever.....so you can trust me on this one, its definitely not for me.
In reality I'm more a manic, wine swilling, swearing, hysterical laughter kinda gal.  And yes I have those moments of being very well organised.  And then have moments of lying in bed thinking, when the fuck am I going to get the time, find the energy and/or inclination to do all this stuff?

So don't continue reading my blog if your expecting such things as well being super clever, I can do it all, with my eyes shut, sort of things.  However if you would like a random giggle, perhaps a half decent recipe and the life and times of me (rather boring most days) then please do keep reading.

Okay today hmmm, interesting, er not so much..... folding washing, hanging washing, putting washing away.  Looking after 2 small people (Miss 3 is one of them), did the mandatory lunches, sorted dinner (cheated and got out a frozen lasagna), emptied dishwasher, cleaned bench, sorted some toys while singing nursery rhymes....not sure my singing abilities will win me any medals.....very tough crowd today.  Made a loaf (recipe below) which in all my wisdom thought I should double and freeze one....good in theory if I had 2 loaf tins the same size then I could cook them for the same time - but no, I didn't have 2 tins the same size, (sigh) so after a bit of guesstimating thought I had the times right, but the damn things sunk on me.  Oh well.  had a sneaky taste and they are okay.  Before the day is out I will have meet with Master 6's teacher, completed another unit in my study, eaten tea, done homework with Master 6, helped get kids to bed and most definitely had a wine.  I will get things already for tomorrows small people, probably think about getting tea ready for tomorrow (rugby practice), decide against it, then sleep in tomorrow and curse myself for not doing it.

So will quickly add recipe while one small person sleeps and the other one is quietly playing (I think she has forgotten I'm here....perhaps I should make a break for it.............?!)

Lemon Syrup Loaf
I discovered this recipe and others, in my Grandma's bits....I'm planning to cook my way through them, mainly cos I like eating, but also because I know she would have, eventually...

1 cup white or caster sugar
grated rind of two lemons
100g butter - softened
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups self raising flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon slat

Syrup: 1/4 cup lemon juice; 1/4 cup caster sugar

Preheat over to 180 degrees Celsius.  In a food processor (gotta love this - EASY!!) mix sugar and lemon rind.  Add butter and mix til creamy.  Then add eggs, milk, flour and salt.

With baking paper line a 21 x 12cm loaf tin, leave over hangs (worth noting this bit, cos if you don't the damn syrup runs and becomes a sticky mess on your bench....)  Pour in mixture.  Bake for 50-60 mins until loaf shrinks from sides of the tin.  While loaf bakes (Multitasking.....) mix lemon juice with caster sugar.  As soon as you remove the loaf from the over, drizzle this mixture over its surface.  Remove the loaf from the tin by lifting the paper and cool on a wire rack.

SPECIAL NOTE: If you are taking the loaf to the neighbours while they very very very kindly mind your children it would pay to in fact check the damn loaf is cooked by cutting it.  Once you have established that it is cooked, proceed to eat the end bits, sharing sparingly with Miss 3, quickly put into a container before you eat the lot.

Here is a picture of how NOT to let your loaf turn out like.

No comments:

Post a Comment