Monday, June 13, 2011

One day at a time - thinking about what it is (or isn't) to be grown up

Talking today about being grown up, and then thinking about what that actually means, has got me off on a tangent of sorts. 

When exactly DO you grow up.  When you drive?  When you vote?  When you have a your first "real" job? Is it when you get a mortgage?  Or perhaps when you get married?  Lose a parent or become a parent? Or perhaps retire?!

Just because I still wear Scooby Doo socks doesn't necessarily mean I'm a kid, or I don't think it does.  But on the other hand just because I have some of life's "responsibilities "doesn't mean that I have to feel grown up either.

For me, I sometimes think I blur the line a little.  Should I act like a grown up even if feels a little out of character....do I get on well with kids because I still feel like one?  Well perhaps not a kid maybe some where about (at least) my mid 20s..........

There is nothing wrong with laughing loudly at silly jokes, still having a crush on Johnny Depp in your mid thirties, playing board games, getting paid to play with playdoh and still dreaming about things you would do if only you had the money.  

Perhaps the questions I should be asking myself isn't about "when" I grow up but its more about what drives me, what I'm passionate about and what I REALLY want to do.

And the answer? Beats me.  I'll get back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment