Tuesday, March 27, 2012

New Life.

It's a wonderful feeling to be reminded about the joys of joining the club of parent hood. 

Not me, mind you.  My two are more than enough for me....in a good way!

Very recently a dear friend of mine has given birth to a beautiful baby boy.  His journey began years ago and the result of much worry, stress, highs, lows and love has finally resulted in his arrival.

When I got the call I was a semi-hysterical mess.  In between tears and laughter I tried to piece together the words to congratulate, celebrate and welcome him to the world, possibly not well but with the utmost heartfelt joy.

This has lead to me think about parenting.  How we can take for granted the privilege of being a parent.  And it is. Just ask anyone who has had an unsuccessful journey in trying to be a parent.

Yes, it's hard.
Yes, the hours suck.
Yes, they make you cross.
Yes, it's a juggle.
Yes, your likely want to yell occasionally and
yes, there is heart ache, back ache and teething.

But the joys of it are unfathomable.

Like today, I saw a friends daughter just GLOW by being given the opportunity to dish out stamps to the other kids at kindy.  My heart swelled with pride for her, and she's not even my child!

Watching your child try and achieve something.  Master 7 has had some extra help with his speech and I got asked to meet up with his speech therapist and she praised him for all his efforts....he's worked hard, and success for him was my reward too.  for the nights we've sat trying to get it right, thinking I'd rather have a wine, has paid off.  And him getting there is cause for praise.

Even when Miss 4 said tonight after I called her Baby Girl - "Mum, please call me a Big girl, I'm a big girl now" is a wonderful thing....although she'll always be my baby girl......just don't tell her that!

So being a parent - HUGE.  And this quote probably sums it up nicely........


Making the decision to have a child is momentous. 
It is to decide forever to have your heart
go walking around outside your body. 
~Elizabeth Stone



No comments:

Post a Comment