Sunday, January 15, 2012

What is creativity?

I wonder sometimes about being creative and what that means.    

I like to let the kids be "creative" and I guess that means with their drawing, art and creating.  They both have scrap books (not like albums just the old fashion sort) and I leave them to it.  I'm not one of those mothers who insist their books are to be precise and tidy, they are theirs to do with as they please, and hopefully look back and think I did this.

I have some remarkable creative friends.  One is a WOW (World of Wearable Arts) winner.  She has a mind that thinks so far out of the the box it's unreal.  Another is a superb painter.  She has a talent for a number of things but her paintings blow me away.  The Crafter, well she can turn her hand at anything!  She has the patience of saint for all things fiddly and beautiful.

The reason I am thinking about what creativity is all about is I've heard it used such a lot when it comes to food, photos, writing and well just generally.  It's one of those words that can mean so many things but what strikes me is the amount of people who say they are not creative. 


Surely everyone has a bit of creativity.  Obviously there are lots of different levels and for those of you baulking at the idea and thinking you don't have any - in my humble opinion, your wrong. 


Can you appreciate a beautiful photo? Admire a work of art even if it's not your cup of tea? Enjoy the meal that you've just had....perhaps not the type of thing you'd cook....so in trying something new, you've appreciated someone else's creativity.


We can't all be painters, poets, songwriters and musicians.  But we can recognize the value of their work.  And this in turn makes us creative.


This is my challenge to you, the next time someone says how creative you are, absorb the compliment and say Thank You.  The next time you appreciate something, it may be as simple at beautiful sunset, acknowledge the fact you've just seen the creative beauty of the changing world we live in and it makes you creative too.  It feels good, it makes you humble and that can't be a bad thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment