Saturday, August 18, 2012

'It hurts like hell'

My boy, all seven and a half years of him, fell out of tree today. 

"Mum I was up 2 foot or 3 foot high.......and the knot in the rope wasn't very good......I fell on my back.....and my tummy hurt......and I think I hurt my foot, it looks swollen.......and it hurts like hell'

Of course I restrained my giggle at the last comment and gave lots of Motherly concern instead.

As much as I'd like to prevent all falls, scrapes, hurt and loss of blood I know that I can't.  Well I could but it wouldn't make him the person he is.  Long term all of those things add character.  They brace you for the world at large. 

And although I fear for his wee body if he decides to play tackle rugby next year, it is the next step for him, I know to prevent him from doing it will only cause more hurt....and possibly alot of Mummy resentment!

The hardest thing about parenthood is the letting go.  Knowing when to hold them close, praise and support them and when to let them learn from their mistakes, try....fail and try again.  The more I watch my boy grow up, the more I know he's ready for a bit more space. 

Mum loves you Master 7 and a half
xoxox
(incidentally this was not taken today!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment